Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Youth Sunday


I've been holding on to this one for a while but it's priceless in my book. Just before school finished in June, the youth of our Charge led worship on Sunday. Most of them were part of this year's confirmation class and a few of them were even confirmed that day. The challenge was that they led worship for both churches that morning (so they had a great glimpse of what I do each week running from 1 church to the next). I love youth Sunday even if it involves more work than planning for a normal Sunday service. There's so much freedom and room for creativity. Everyone has something to offer and they each bring something special to the service. This year the Message came from Matthew 6, a reflection from Brian McLaren, and a skit to the music of One Republic "Say." As we hurriedly finished up the first service and scrambled around to get our props, projector, and supplies, I was lucky enough to be the last man out holding the door. As the youth and some of their parents filed out, I overheard one saying "Wow! This is cool. And the best part is we get to do it all over again." Another was overheard saying, "I wish we could do this all the time." It sort of changes your whole perspective about leading multiple services on Sunday. (I'm not sure my wife's ever been that excited about hearing the sermon multiple times).
I'm still smiling on the inside. Sure, some of it is pride, but mostly I'm just overjoyed that these teens are making a real connection with worshiping the living God. I think this is the kind of stuff the bishop was talking about at Annual Conference. We truly need to find ways to reach our young people. More than anything they need mentors in their lives who can help them navigate the call God has placed on their lives. I wouldn't be surprised if we a few young clergy in the making. Pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment