Thursday, June 25, 2009

Full spectrum


During the past week, you might say I experienced the full spectrum of United Methodism. It began with the fixing of the appointments and closing worship at Lake Junaluska. What followed included packing everything you can possibly think of(including a grumpy cat) in your car and returning home for a visitation and funeral on Wednesday, worship planning, a rehearsal dinner and wedding over the weekend, three Sunday services, three Eucharists, 3 adult baptisms, one confirmation, one anointing for healing, one laity award recognition, and two commissionings for summer missions. Who says you can't learn all you need to know about United Methodism in a week. And if that's not enough, just wait until this week is over.
While I rejoice at such a bold and broad spectrum of sacramental life last week, sometimes I'm equally guilty of getting caught up in the frustrations and negativity of the present. Take Monday for example. I could easily lament that my day began with only five inmates at Bible Study, that I spent all afternoon waiting for the results of a surgery, and completed my day with a council meeting that lasted over 100 minutes. However, as I looked back that evening on my day, I began to see nothing but blessing. Despite low attendance at prison we had one of our most engaging discussions yet and those who were present had all studied up and brought something to share about a specific prophet. The hospital wait was filled with humorous conversation, odd stories, and playtime with parishioners and their kids. The surgery couldn't have gone better and I was also able to visit with another member who had been admitted. Although the council meeting ran into worries about stewardship, tithing, and giving, the tone of the meeting was overwhelmingly progressive. The spirit of the church is still alive and I have no doubt we will continue to move forward and find ways to fulfill our mission and ministry. It seemed worth every minute. How about you? Have you taken the chance to experience the full spectrum of your day? of life? Try this. Four little words to help you step into that fullness..."Thanks be to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment