Monday, June 15, 2009

Life in the Spirit

Some weeks ago, I was particularly struck by the words of Paul about hope. It's tucked away in the middle of the 8th chapter of Romans where Paul has been unpacking an understanding of life in the Spirit for a church that he had never visited. Trying to relate to someone whom you've never seen or met is a task in itself, let alone trying to explain the work of the Holy Spirit. Believe me, I've tried both before - with mixed results at best. Sometimes the only way to try to understand the workings of the Spirit is simply to experience it. It can unfold in a multitude of ways. Perhaps in the fulfillment of something beautiful in unexpected places. Perhaps in discovering immense value in something seemingly worthless. Perhaps simply in reading familiar words over and over again or watching familial rituals carried out with a uniquely personal touch.

As I read through this passage over and over again that week, it became clear God was trying to tell me something about hope, about vision, and about the aspirations I have for the congregations I serve. Paul says: "Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience....for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words." Sometimes, I think my dreams and hopes for us as a people of God grow daily. God offers glimpses of vision and direction, powerful images of how we can more fully give ourselves completely to God and one another. Yet, after a few hours, realism sets in and I manage to amass at least 3x as many reasons as to why that just couldn't work now or here. It's too big of a leap, it's too soon, it's never been done before,...etc. Maybe, just maybe, I've been discounting the power of the Spirit. Rather than setting a vision and goals that I can see are already just within reach, perhaps I should be setting my hope in what we do not see. Hope that is seen isn't hope at all.

I've always hoped to see folks actively leading our worship. I dream of a congregation that feels empowered and called to lead aspects of worship (not merely content to sit back and enjoy a one person show). On Pentecost Sunday, of all days, I stumbled into a rural church tucked away in a cove of WNC. The worship order was easily familiar. But something special unfurled that morning and I can safely say it was the Spirit at work. While the rituals of worship were similar they were memorably transformed by the power of uniquely personal story. The face of a 30-something young man with down syndrome danced brilliantly in the light of the flame as he grinned from ear to ear with ecstatic joy when he lit the altar candles. The arms of a bruised, but not broken, lay leader in a full back brace quivered as he took the offering plates and raised them as high as possible during the doxology. Worship and ritual was transformed that festival day, that Pentecost.

Is there anything that is not possible with God? Perhaps I need to be dreaming bigger and hoping for the things not yet seen. What are your deepest hopes and dreams for your community, for your church, and for your family? Listen for the rumblings of the Spirit and don't be afraid to unleash them.

No comments:

Post a Comment