Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Feeling miserable

I write this at home today realizing that most of my posts thus far have been very reflective, upbeat, and in some sense hopeful. But, if I'm honest with myself, those moments aren't always constant for me. In fact there are often days, like today, when I find myself feeling miserable. I started sneezing and blowing this weekend and by Monday, drainage and a sore throat had left me feeling worthless. I'm trying to work from home, rest up, and keep a low profile today. Believe me, when you're sick no one really cares for a visit from you anyway. In fact, they're pretty appreciative when you spare them the germs.
All these mucky feelings this morning made me think back to my weekend meeting in Mooresville for Confernce Youth Ministry. When I arrived in town, I dashed into a nearby Wendy's to devour a quick burger since no dinner was provided. I don't claim to be a mind-reader or a psychic, but I do tend to have a keen sense of observation and decent intuition. From a young mom and her son at the entrance, to a middle-aged father setting a table for two families with a total of nine youngsters - it seemed as if i kept encountering people whose lives were somehow complete misery on the inside. Both the young lady at the door and the father of the other family in the dining room seemed to look back deeply into my eyes as if i were a welcome relief to this miserable life they were caught up in. Something in their eyes and their glance at me seemed to say "please get me out of this mess and monotony."
As I ate my burger, I said a prayer for the folks at that Wendys and gave thanks for the joy I have in my own life and my relationship with my wife. Three years together have flown by like yesterday. As I left, I began to wonder, how many people are actually going through the motions of this life feeling completely miserable and empty. We've all been there at one point or another. How about you? Are you feeling miserable today? If so, you're not alone. Maybe this can be a space today to let some of that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment