Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Awkward silence

There is a moment of suspended silence just after our prayer of confession and before the pastor offers a word of assurance and pardon on Communion Sundays. This awkward silence is often noted in the bulletin by a small phrase in parenthesis that reads (followed by silent prayer). We finish reciting a communal prayer of confession and then there is silence - an opportunity for individuals to share in their heart personal confessions of sin to God. While some can’t wait for the silence to end and move to the next thing, I must confess there are some Sundays when I wish it would last longer. In fact, one of the things that bothers me most in worship is when such a space of time is ordered into the service, but the presider resumes so quickly I’ve barely had time to finish my first thought. It’s not surprising that folks would want to trim or cut short confessing our sins before God. We’re simply not accustomed to a life of self-examination. Often, abbreviating this quiet confession isn’t even intentional. But, most days, I just need more awkward silence.
Jesus & John had a lot to say about the reality that God's kingdom has come near. Someone once wrote: "If the kingdom is coming, we have to begin to live by the king’s rules." In that case, I could use a little awkward silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment