Thursday, November 18, 2010

Dream deferred


Not everyone has the opportunity to see the fruits of their labor. Over time, that can be quite frustrating if you are unable to find fulfillment in something other than end results. "What happens to a dream deferred" as Langston Hughes once posed. In my own work lately, I've found myself looking around at what I assumed was a bunch of barren land.
As the teaching goes, unless a grain of wheat falls to the earth and dies it remains just a grain. We planted a few packs of zinnias last year and ended up with a garden full. That wasn't much of a surprise. The real surprise came this Fall as I'm trimming off 10 blooms in November from a lone stem that somehow found its way to the surface a year later!
Perhaps there's more to this soil than meets the eye. Perhaps there's a whole garden of resurrection work brewing just below our line of view. Today there are 10 zinnia blossoms. And that's just enough for me to smile. Just enough smile to birth hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment