Saturday, July 31, 2010

How do you spend it

A remarkable milestone occurred this week. I became old. On Thursday, I officially turned 30. Everyone always wants to know what you did. How did you spend your birthday? Well, I awoke to my loving wife fixing homemade biscuits in the kitchen and a 30th birthday banner in the den. We enjoyed breakfast and spending time together. I spent an hour on the phone with my DS receiving guidance about how to address some fires in a congregation. Played tennis and basketball with my wife during lunch at the park, enjoyed a great BOLT (bacon, onion, lettuce, tomato) sandwich at home for lunch with a side of birthday cake from Sooweet Treats, back on the phone with a member about putting out a church fire, staffed a booth uptown with a few youth anxious to raise money already for another mission trip, ate with Circles of Hope leaders and shared a fun evening with them at FUMC-Wadesboro, returned home to a surprise phone call by a thoughtful youth and a building team friend, shared some more cake, introduced a friend to eating mangoes, walked to the P.O., and called it a day.

Why does everyone want to know how you spent your birthday? It's sort of a false question because the language implies that it's my day and I have a certain entitlement to what I do with it. In reality, every passing moment, and EVERYTHING at all is a gift. I've actually been thinking how Jesus was about 30 when his earthly ministry ended (others would argue 33). It's remarkable to consider what his life accomplished in such a brief span.
Maybe a better question to consider is what have I been doing with my life the last 30 years? I guess then, if you look at my day, it makes a little more sense and carries a little more meaning. I've found someone whose love is almost as genuine as God's and I'm learning more each day about what living that out in covenant community looks like, I'm learning to love myself and realize that God can use me but he doesn't need me, I've noticed that celebrating community and friendships is more fun than celebrating yourself, Giving always seems more rewarding than receiving, investing in the lives of young people is worth everything, and that when u share your heart at least some people will love you and appreciate you for being who you are. And that's not bad for 30 years. It's at least respectable. Here's to getting old. Happy Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment