Thursday, April 22, 2010

What happened

Last night I was at a care facility visiting, singing songs, and sharing refreshments with the residents. At the end of our program, I came across a familiar face. One of the residents who seemed to have slept through it all used to live at another assisted living facility where I lead Holy Communion each month. I did not remember her name. She said it was 'Anna' but she seemed so "out of it" I'm not sure she knew, or even if I heard her correctly. She just drifted off again.
At first I smiled. She was one of the more faithful and energized of my Communion attendees. 'Anna' had a beautiful smile and would often be moved by the spirit or chime in (after receiving the bread and cup) singing about the blood of Jesus. I tried to ask her about when or why she moved out here but she was far too sleepy or medicated to respond. "What happened," I wondered? Not only what happened to 'Anna,' but what had happened to the others. How many others over the past three years have quietly disappeared, almost unnoticed, and moved on to another facility, another town, perhaps too far gone? It's more noticeable in our prison study as inmates are constantly transferred or step down. Lately, I've noticed just how much of ministry involves delayed gratification, if any. There are very few places or circumstances where one can see or enjoy the fruits of the labor. You are simply out there and folks come and go. Chances are you'll never know what impact you may have had or what becomes of them. Mostly, you find yourself asking what happened...?
I gave 'Anna's' hand a slight squeeze again to say "God bless you sweetheart" and she drifted off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment