Friday, March 20, 2009

Filling Containers


Almost six months ago, I was running around from Dollar Tree to Dollar General trying to find appropriately sized storage containers (plastic shoeboxes) and 18 of them at that. After trips to Monroe, Rockingham, and Wadesboro, I had finally obtained all 18. Then came the announcements. I shared with our youth about the Project Agape initiative in Armenia and also with one of our United Methodist Women groups. Everyone seemed on board and excited to do something. I was determined that our youth and church would be involved in this mission to Armenia again and that this year we would write notes as well. Despite the deadlines set, it was like pulling teeth to get some of the boxes back. Some folks never returned calls, some dropped their stuff off by the garage the night before, some had only managed to get their container half full while others had containers overflowing, and one lost the container but had a tote full of gifts. The next 48 hours, I found myself scrambling to repack the containers so each were filled, sealed, and contents appropriately labeled (even adding a picture with the cards of our youth group). The plan was to deliver them to the Mission Response Center above Lake Norman on my way to Franklin, NC. By the time I was packed and my trunk filled with boxes, it was already after 5. So, I made a few phone calls and arranged to meet a friend in Denver that evening who would deliver them to the Mission Center the following morning. What a great guy. On the way, I found a CVS and purchased another container for 3x the cost of the others, just so the extra supplies someone bought could get to another child in Armenia. By 9pm that evening, I had successfully transferred the boxes from my trunk to my friend's and was on the road again with three hours of driving still ahead.

Flash forward 6 months... and I'm preparing to be away with Confirmands on a retreat this weekend. Despite being away, I had to somehow coordinate a few mission/outreach opportunities for Saturday so that everyone has an option or ability to participate in our District's "One Great Day of Mission." I know the concept and purpose of this event/effort is admirable. Yet, for me, it's just bad timing. It's really frustrating trying to organize others to be in some form of active mission on a Saturday, when I'm leaving town for a youth retreat. Then it happened. In yesterday's mail, I discovered a card marked "brought back to America for mailing from a friend of Armenia." My mind fluttered with ideas and flashed back to the crazy ordeal of boxes 6 months ago. And then came a beautiful peace and joy. I knew why we had done it and the card in my hand addressed to Lilesville UMC was worth it all. Giving of ourselves and reaching out in unfamiliar ways can be much like the experience of filling plastic containers for children in Armenia. We buy and arrange things we hope a child might enjoy or need and then pack them away in a plastic container, snapping the lid. What have we done and what will become of it? Somehow, I think whatever happens this Saturday God will be present. Even in the midst of doubt or anxiety, bad timing or poor planning. I hope somehow in six months, or even six years, from now we might look back and smile knowing it was worth it all. For now, my heart is strangely warmed and my prayers are with all those who will be filling containers again this Saturday. Thanks be to God

1 comment:

  1. Discovered your blog and am enjoying reading it. I have posted comments about it on my blog. Keep writing.

    Jean O.

    ReplyDelete